Saturday 13 December 2008

A right rubbish matchmaker

Oh...I'm feeling like Cilla Black on Blind Date...

I've been matchmaking...and it's so exciting...but not how you'd think!

This particular story begins with an evening out with friends at an Indian Restaurant last night. An evening of hilarity and good humour, full of all sorts of innuendos...the fun, the laughter...well you know how it is!

One minute you're having a regular night out innocently enjoying your meal. Then before you know it time's whizzed by and the hot towels arrive, a refreshing treat at the end of the evening.

Of course I couldn't wash my hands without asking THE question about what happened to the towels once they were used.

"Madam, I'm afraid we throw them away" came the answer.

"AWAY!"

"Er yes madam."

Well I wasn't having that. Looking at the towels again, there was no logical reason why they couldn't be put to good use as reusable wipes for the kids or as cleaning cloths perhaps...so I popped them in my bag and brought them home to wash.

Yes I know it might appear to be eccentric behaviour, others might say my rescue mission was fuelled by wine.

But when you wake up to waste, I'm afraid you can't close your eyes to it even after a few glasses of the white stuff.

So yes, I rescued 7 hand towels. But thinking about it, they are just a drop in the ocean when you consider the numbers that must be used in a whole day, a week, or indeed a year, not by one restaurant but the thousands of establishments across the country.

But guess what...for this particular restaurant, there is indeed a happy outcome.

In idle gossip today, I mentioned the story to a friend.

We both frowned, seethed and tutted.

Then came the spark of ingenuity.

"I always need cleaning cloths" she remarked

"I can give 'em a wash and use them in my cafe".

Well, what can you say to that!

The only thing to do was to skip home, get on the blower to the restaurant manager and make a date!

And that's where this story ends...well for the moment.

I've got his mobile so she can give him a call and arrange a regular pick-up.

A neat solution to a wasteful issue.

I think my work is done!

So next time you're out for a curry and are freshening up at the end of your meal, please do be inquisitive. Who knows what could happen!

____________________________________________________

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Rubbish Diet News Design by O Pregador | Blogger Theme by Blogger Template de luxo | Powered by Blogger