Wednesday 16 April 2008

Talking rubbish at the hair salon!

I went along to my local salon for my regular hair cut yesterday. I was in desperate need, especially since my fringe made its impromptu appearance on national news a few weeks ago.

While I was there Lize, my wonderful stylist, brought up the subject of what happens to all the hair that gets cut at salons. I'd never thought about it before, but pricked up my ears with interest.

The hair collected by the salon actually gets sent to landfill. There's no surprise there as I had never considered any other use. Of course there is the option of collecting longer hair for use in wigs, but having done a quick search this morning I have discovered a few other interesting applications.

There's an interesting article on the Associated Content site, which reveals that human hair, along with animal hair\fur can actually be composted. Somehow I can't imagine the salon getting a composter for their levels of hair collection, but in small amounts (e.g if you have your hair cut at home), there seems to be no harm in putting it in your compost bin.

There are some other unexpected applications also, including stuffing pin cushions or using it as a deterrent to keep pests out of the garden. On this subject Lize related a story from her training days (which was a while ago), where a farmer used to collect hair from her old salon and used it to deter muntjac deer from his farm. Apparently, barber shops are the best source as the hair is not normally washed and retains the human scent. The things you learn eh!

Perhaps the most unusual use I've discovered this morning is the chair that was made from human hair last year. I came across it on the Y-Waste site. The chair designed by Robert Thompson is made from 100% human hair mixed with polymer matrix. The designer is now working with London South Bank University to develop the bio-polymer known as Pilius X, which mixed with bio-resins could be used in a range of applications including architecture, furniture and clothing.

Here's a short video, which highlights the process. Enjoy!




A visit to the hair salon will never be the same again. Perhaps I should have brought my trimmings home to put to good use. I quite fancy a new table for the garden. However, I think the composting option is the most practical for now.

____________________________________________________________________

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Rubbish Diet News Design by O Pregador | Blogger Theme by Blogger Template de luxo | Powered by Blogger