Monday 8 September 2008

The morning after the night before

Well, after celebrating yesterday, today is like waking up the morning after the night before

You'll know why if you saw ITV's Tonight programme, A Rubbish Service, which revealed actual evidence of "recycled" waste from the UK being illegally dumped in India. Waste from four separate local authorities had been identified. You know, I'd heard rumours, the usual hearsay, but this is the first documentary I've seen that reveals that it's more than just gossip.

So what do you do when you hear news like this? Give up? Go hide in a corner?

Of course not. You pick yourself up, believe in your values, keep cutting down on your rubbish, including recyclable waste and most importantly seek some form of official reassurance.

Send an email to the director of services and relevant councillor at your local county council to ask the question "Where does your rubbish end up?" And if you want to talk more, contact your MP, or go and have a chat with Mr Green. He knows a thing or two over at MyZeroWaste.com.

But what about me? Yes, I'm going to be sending off my email today too, but not before I've tackled a problem of diverted waste that lies closer to home.

You see, after several days of sourcing the whiff that's been percolating in the downstairs loo, sniffing here, there and cleaning this that and the other, last night Mr A presented me with my rucksack.

He could only say "It's your rubbish and it's your responsibility". He's getting into the swing of things is our Mr A.

I could smell it even from a couple of feet away and couldn't believe how I had missed it altogether.

As I looked inside, I could see two rotten bananas almost melting at the bottom of the bag. Oh the stink...eurrgh...the fruit flies!

No wonder I'd felt dizzy in loo. It must have been all that methane.

Well Mr A was right.

It is my rubbish and regrettably it is my responsibility, but I couldn't spoil the celebrations and get dirty bunging rotting bananas in the compost bin. Not last night!

Sadly, that's this morning's job! Bleurrgh

_________________________________________________

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Rubbish Diet News Design by O Pregador | Blogger Theme by Blogger Template de luxo | Powered by Blogger