Wednesday 11 February 2009

MEGA MEGA News: Almost Mrs Average is officially speechless

As regular readers will know, there are very few things that render me speechless and make my legs turn to jelly.

Absinthe did once, but that was a long time ago before you got to know me. Later there was labour both the first and second time round - the act of childbirth I should add, not the political party!

But nothing has made me more speechless in recent times than standing on the top of landfill, smelling the stench of household waste as it was bulldozed and buried into our landscape. The pitiful sight of reusable resources poking up through the soil. It wasn't just a sad picture of civilised society, it was worse. It was a depressing reflection of my own ignorance prior to my Zero Waste challenge that began last January.

How could an intelligent woman not have registered the implications of methane and leachate on the environment? Why hadn't I considered that our ordinary rubbish is actually a valuable resource that should be harvested to save energy, costs and virgin resources? And when I was recycling what I could, why hadn't I realised the urgency of reducing the surplus stuff that I never really needed in the first place?

It took St Edmundsbury's Zero Waste challenge and the creation of this blog to wake myself up to waste minimisation on the homefront, reaching out to a whole new community of folk who were able to teach or who were ready to learn with me. Learning about simple changes, especially the small ones that could make a huge difference.

That was a year ago.

Well folks, one year later I am speechless again.

In fact, I am bowled over and so beside myself that I don't know which way to turn.

But this time it's not the sight of landfill that's turning my legs to jelly.

It's something far more glamorous.

And I hope my news will make your legs go wobbly too.

You deserve it because it's down to everyone's actions, encouragement and inspirational words that I find myself being able to share this with you today and I want to thank you.

You see, what I'm trying to tell you is that The Rubbish Diet blog has been shortlisted for the MediaGuardian Innovation Awards 2009, in the very exciting Independent Media category, covering citizen media and blogs. I know, I am still pinching myself, wondering if it's all true.

But I am pleased to say it is true and is indeed a privilege. In fact it's all revealed on the MediaGuardian's website, which includes a stunning range of other shortlisted entries for the awards that have been nicknamed the MEGAs. There is so much talent I know I'll be weak at the knees when the winners are announced on March 24th at the awards ceremony in London.

Oh I wish I could take you with me, not just to witness the the wonderful competition - which is very very good - but to help with the recycling. Someone needs to ask what they do with their bottles don't they? I wonder if Mr A will be sober enough to find out.

But don't worry. I promise to be good and represent you well, making sure I recycle my empties.

The Rubbish Diet at the MEGAs eh!

Who would have thought?

Of course I am delighted, excited and truly honoured to have been shortlisted.

But if you could watch me as I write, you'd witness my glazed-over stare, my eyes wide-open with nothing to say but...

"WOW!"

It's a good job too. Just imagine the length of this post if I wasn't speechless!

__________________________________________________

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Rubbish Diet News Design by O Pregador | Blogger Theme by Blogger Template de luxo | Powered by Blogger