Wednesday 11 March 2009

Day 3: Supporting my neighbours in Essex

Photo courtesy of Essex County Council

Guess what! I've got some news and it is deliciously exciting.

Our neighbours are holding their very own Rubbish Free Week!

Isn't that fabulous.

Not my actual neighbours you understand. I know that would be exciting in itself, but I'm referring to our county neighbours, over the border in Essex.

So while I am battling with my conscience and my well-formed habits to test my rubbish throwing reflexes here in Suffolk, folk all over Essex are trying hard to slim their bins.

Essex County Council, in partnership with district and borough councils, has encouraged almost 600 residents to take part in the challenge to see how far they can cut down on the rubbish they produce for a week.

And the question they're asking residents everywhere is

"Can you go for one week without throwing anything in your bin?"

Yee-ah, what a challenge! We know what that's like don't we?

But hang on a minute. Where does that leave me?

I'm already struggling with my heavily embedded "do not make any rubbish" routine and seeing if I can go back to my trash-chucking ways this week. It's been bad enough with all the thinking I've been doing about landfill as well as discussing reducing, reusing and recycling.

Now there's even more pressure.

How can I even contemplate popping a yoghurt pot in the black bin after communications from elsewhere in the region?

I think it's a sign don't you?

So rapidly moving away from my own little bin - which by the way still only has a Weetabix wrapper resting in it so far - Essex waste attackers may be interested to know that Tesco are supporting the Rubbish Free Week and are providing information at their stores in Harlow, Basildon, Pitsea, Chelmsford (Princes Rd), Colchester (Extra at Highwoods) and Clacton.

And if there are any residents reading this blog from Harlow, Basildon or Pitsea, do go and have a gander at your local Tesco this week to try out their new automated recycling machines.

So please join me in wishing Essex residents loads of luck in the latest zero waste challenge.

The Essex Rubbish Free Week ends this Sunday 15th March. More information can be found at: www.recycleforessex.co.uk

______________________________________________________
Photo credits: Tracey Chapman, Essex County Council Cabinet Member for Environment & Waste; and Janette Potter, Chelmsford Borough Council Cabinet Member for Environment & Waste, with their reusable bags. Helped out by sales assistant Milo Patrick on the Fowlers & Jezard fruit and veg stall.
___________________________________________________________________



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Rubbish Diet News Design by O Pregador | Blogger Theme by Blogger Template de luxo | Powered by Blogger