Wednesday 18 March 2009

It's time to wind down



A year ago I planned to stop this blog, but something kept me going. I had just completed the Zero Waste Week challenge with absolute amazement over how little we managed to throw away.

It was an incredible experience because the idea of living an ordinary life creating minimal waste had felt so impossible, yet I somehow proved it could be a reality - even with two kids. It felt great. And I was hooked.

And with a bucket-load of excitement I couldn't help but spread the word. I realised there was much more to rubbish than met the eye. It was not just about bins, it was a lifestyle makeover. And it was exciting!

It's been a real blast enjoying the everyday challenges of shopping and cooking and the not so fun task of cleaning, finding zero waste challenges along the way. Even birthdays, Easter and Christmas brought the rewards of an almost empty rubbish bin. How incredible is that. So having "been there done it", I can't wait to do it all again this year and I have a feeling that thanks to progress from the manufacturers, it will be even easier than before.

Also the friends I have met during the last year and a bit have made this the most amazing experience ever, including folk dotted all over the world, all sharing ideas of what is possible. And I can't wait to visit your blogs more often than I have been able to.

So I really couldn't have asked for more and I am truly glad that I didn't stop blogging a year ago.

But there comes a time, when a girl has to step away from her virtual comfort zone and get back to the needs of the real world and practise everything she's learned over the last 15 months, including making more bread, yoghurt and pasta as well as jams and cakes. All those yummy scrummy things that I don't have time to do when at the computer.

And there's growing vegetables too, as well as looking after the hens.

I still can't believe we've got chickens.

The almost average family has come a long way since I announced my presence on the blog last January.

So I feel like I am truly leaving the party on a high.

But it is really hard to step away especially as the interest in the blog is at an all-time high and there's the MediaGuardian Innovation Awards next week too. It will be an amazing occasion that I will be proud to attend and I can't wait to report on what happens. Will The Rubbish Diet win or won't it - we'll just have to see.

In the meantime, in true Almost Mrs Average style, you can be sure I won't be going quietly. In fact I'm planning my own awards night for the weekend and I'll be publishing the past year's highlights sometime next week. I'll also be updating you with my plans too, the next chapter of The Rubbish Diet I guess.

So please join me in the celebrations. Grab your party frocks and evening suits and take your seat on Saturday evening for the one and only Rubbish Diet awards night. My way of thanking you all for joining in the fun.

Don't buy anything new though will you. Something from your wardrobe will do.

And on that note, I'd better rifle though my own collection of dresses. A girl needs to be properly prepared you know.

I can't wait to see you on Saturday.

Now where did I put that feather boa!


_____________________________________________________

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Rubbish Diet News Design by O Pregador | Blogger Theme by Blogger Template de luxo | Powered by Blogger